swap space

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue May 3 14:02:19 PDT 2005

On May 3, 2005, at 2:45 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Since it's a pain to add swap later you want to make
> allowances for future expansion (e.g. you'd need 32GB of swap if you
> ever plan to add 32GB of RAM).

I understand that people recommend as much swap as you have ram or
more.  However, is this required and why?  I have a dual opteron
system running i386 5.3-release (with released patches) and it has
4GB RAM and only 2GB of swap, which is hardly ever touched, and when
it is, just in small amounts.

Why is this a problem?  (If it ever needs the 2gb of swap I am in
trouble as the load at that time would be sky high and the machine
not really responsive anyway)

best
Chad