swap space

Franco Bruno Borghesi fborghesi at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:43:01 PDT 2005

Actually having a separated disk for swap should increase your performance.
But my opinion is that if you really need *all* the 40 GB of swap when your
system's ram is 3 GB, you won't see the difference: most of the data your
system needs is swapped out!

You could add a partition to your new disk (let's say 2 or 3 times the
amount of ram), and leave the rest unpartitioned. You could use that extra
space later for nightly backups, emergencies, etc. without loosing your
performance gain.

Hope it helps.

PS: Is there a FreeBSD 5.4 stable version?