firefox doesn't show up

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Tue May 3 09:56:11 PDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 01:53:29 -0400
jason henson <jason at ec.rr.com> wrote:

> Trey Sizemore wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:40:43 -0800
> >Ben Munat <bent at munat.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Did you try running it from the command line? That way you can see
> >>if it prints errors when it fails.

> >My Firefox will no longer work as a normal user (no page loads and
> >buttons are unresponsive), although it does as root.  Starting from
> >the command line produces the following output (both as root and my
> >normal user account):
> >
> >trey at salamander~> firefox
> >LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/compat/linux/
> >usr/ local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so [Shared
> >object "libc.so.6" not found, required by "nppdf.so"] *** Failed to
> >load overlay chrome://useragentswitcher/content/menu.xul
> >
> >Any ideas on how to fix this?
> >

> Looks like your adobe plugin is a linux port.  You need
> emulators/linux_base-8.  But you shouldn't unless you have a linux
> binary.  I didn't see a adobe plugin in the ports system so I am
> guessing this is where you went wrong.  Did you tell firefox to
> install a linux or unix plugin for pdfs or acrobat reader?  Remove
> the adobe plugin and see if firefox works right.  Also did you
> install the native firefox from ports?

How do I remove the offending plugin?  I've tried to remove and
reinstall Firefox 1.0.3, but the same behavior occurs.  The root user
can open and use firefox, but my normal account cannot.

--
Cheers,
Trey

Bumper sticker:

"All the parts falling off this car are of the very finest British
manufacture"

FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE i386 i386 GENERIC
12:55PM  up 9 mins, 0 users, load averages: 0.12, 0.17, 0.13