[Mimedefang] Installing on FreeBSD

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.com
Tue May 3 09:11:00 PDT 2005

Hi,

Ok but this basically sucks. I'm sure I should be installing from ports. But
I don't seem to be able to do that, and I do know how to install source
files.

When I try  to do a pkg_add to install the mimedefang  port that I've
downloaded from freebsd.org, I get this:

radius# pkg_add -r mimedefang.tar.gz
Error: FTP Unable to get
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4
-stable/Latest/mimedefang.tar.gz.tgz: File unavailable (e.g., file not
found, no
 access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch
`ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-
4-stable/Latest/mimedefang.tar.gz.tgz' by URL

So I moved the tarball over to /usr/ports/distfiles, extracted it and ran
make. That resulted in:

radius# more distinfo
MD5 (mimedefang-2.51.tar.gz) = 9c4df4ec349e414f893c940ff563bea5
SIZE (mimedefang-2.51.tar.gz) = 302006
radius# make
"Makefile", line 53: Malformed conditional (${PERL_LEVEL} < 500601)
"Makefile", line 53: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 55: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 55: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

At this rate it'll be forever before I get mimedefang installed and in the
meantime I have customers upset because they are receiving unacceptable
levels of spam. Surely someone can help me out with installing mimedefang
from source and getting this sendmail stuff I have questions about working.

Of course, if someone  wants to tell me what I'm doing wrong in trying to
install this as a package and howe to do it right, that would be OK too :-)

I'm going to CC  this to the FreeBSD list in case someone on that list might
be able to help.

Thanks,

Lisa Casey