VPN through a FreeBSD firewall?

Per B freebsd at stortsett.se
Tue May 3 07:19:45 PDT 2005

Hello all!

I have a small network at home which I am upgrading speedwise, i.e. I am
about to go from 8 Mbit to 24 Mbit (ADSL2) on the WAN side. I intend then
to use my FreeBSD 5.3 box as a firewall/NAT/proxy server.

Two questions:

First, the big one: I sometimes work from home. Then I connect to the
office from my XP laptop via a VPN tunnel (today I have a ZyXEL G2000 as
fw/nat/router). So, if I put the FreeBSD box in place of the ZyXEL and the
FreeBSD does ipfw/nat, will it still work with the VPN stuff? N.B., the
FreeBSD box will not do the VPN stuff, just pass it through! I am using
the Cisco client on the laptop if that matters.

Like this:

laptop with vpn -> FreeBSD with two network interfaces -> ADSL modem -> NET

Anyone knows what happens if I put the ZyXEL as a wireless router between
the laptop and FreeBSD; would VPN work then? VPN passes through the ZyXEL
today without problem but can it pass through the two boxes?

Second question: someone told me that the ZyXEL cannot handle 24 Mbit,
therefor I want to use the FreeBSD box instead. Can FreeBSD handle 24Mbit
from the ADSL modem? I think it can, anyone against? ;-)

TIA!

--
Per Berger                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
                                     \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail