question about mksnap_ffs and NFS interaction

antenneX antennex at swbell.net
Mon May 2 17:45:58 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <ianchov at mail.bg>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: question about mksnap_ffs and NFS interaction

>>> Glad to see a question on this subject and my reply is just more
>>> questions rather than an answer.
>>>
>>> I've just moved to 5.4RC3 & read most of the docs and this snap
issue is
>>> new to me too. Howe are you scheduling? I noticed I never got a
snapshot
>>> until I ran the command to do snaps on each FS. So, I scheduled one
for
>>> "noon" as a cron job. Now I get a regular "snap" plus the "nooner",
but
>>> they show a random time & both done about the same time.
>>>
>>> A mystery to me so far... sure like the new snap feature though.

Hello, boys!
So as you are speaking for those thing called "snashot" i will beg you
to share
some experience about it.
How do you find it works, have you made rebuild of the system from a
snanshot...
and so..
Thanks

No rebuild yet, but have mounted to see how easy it is to retrieve
files. Since I run run rebootable clones of my main HD to a 2nd HD every
2-3 days anyway, this daily snapshot just gives me more frequent
backups. Mounting and using the clones is a similar approach. Of course
my clones includes every filesystem as well as those snapshots. The FFS
is really fast too. I like it and restoring is next on my list once I
fully understand the nuances.