Scanning under FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon May 2 14:49:21 PDT 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 06:18:41PM -0700, iqgrande at asu.edu wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I posted an email sometime back asking for help getting my scanner to
> work under FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE. Upon not receiving any responses, I
> did some more research and tinkering and decided to update to FreeBSD
> 5.4-STABLE to see if that would fix the problem and it has not. In any
> event, when I try to scan something as root, I receive the following
> error:
>
> ast# sane-find-scanner -q
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0205) at /dev/uscanner0
> ast# scanimage -L
> device `niash:/dev/uscanner0' is a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300C flatbed scanner
> ast# scanimage > image.pnm
> scanimage: open of device niash:/dev/uscanner0 failed: Device busy

Try building sane-backends without libusb support. My epson
scanner works fine without libusb, and it's one less dependancy. If you
try this, you should change /usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf to something
like:

usb /dev/uscanner0

According to the sane-hp(5) manual page, you could also try the
"dumb-read" option.

If you want to use your scanner as a normal user, there are some tips on
my freebsd page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/freebsd/

HTH,

Roland

--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail