Can't play CD / mount CDROM

Michael Neeff cool_mike_21 at hotmail.com
Mon May 2 04:06:09 PDT 2005

Hi all,
I've been trying since the past couple of days to get my sound back... it
all started when I followed the steps from the manual in setting up
statically sound drivers for my old Compaq DeskPro EN series...for FreeBSD
5.3. I included the "snd_sbc" driver, since when I kldload snd_driver it
comes up as ESS 1869 in my kernel file (MYKERNEL).. I also included the line
"device sound" in the MYKERNEL (customized kernel Chp. 7) for some reason it
doesn't work when I want to run mpg123...
...Anyways this is the least of my problems. I now comment the lines: device
snd_sbc, device sound recomplie the kernel and keep getting cd9660: device
/dev/acd0 Input/Ouput error when I try to mount any of my CDs... (music or
data) all of which have been burnt in the ISO 9660 format.. (using Nero)
I've tried : mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom and several other combinations
:
mount cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom; mount cd9660; mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom;
mount /cdrom  - still the same thing...
/etc/fstab shows: /dev/acd0, mountpoint=/cdrom, fstype=cd9660, options=ro,
noauto, dump=0,
pass#=0
I even tried loading my old kernel (GENERIC)  from /boot/kernel.old/kernel
(Btw, is this the same as the last recompile of MYKERNE?L... I think I have
compiled 3/4 times by now in the hopes that this would work)

HELP - I'm a newbie... I've got almost everything working with KDE 3.3...and
now back to this. I was so happy when I could run cdcontrol from the command
line and now I'm :o( frustrated !!