5.3 on latitude d600?

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Mon May 2 01:24:23 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 02:41:19PM +0200, Clement Twine wrote:
> Stijn Hoop wrote the following on 04/30/2005 02:27 PM:
> > On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 01:09:16PM +0200, Clement Twine wrote:
> > > has anyone installed freebsd 5.3 on a dell latitude d600? have
> > > the following worked "out-of-the-box"?
> > >
> > > WiFi:	Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter
> >
> > Not out of the box but there's a driver in -CURRENT for it:
> > iwi(4). There is a version for 5.3 on Damien Bergamini's website
> > afaik (google for it).
>
> ok, but this laptop is like - 3 years old? anyway, i'll look there.

This is due to a lot of circumstance, most of it political:

- at first every wireless vendor refused to release programming
  information, except for a select few.
- now, although the programming information is out in the open, Intel
  refuses to release the needed firmware for the chipset under
  a license that is compatible for open source projects to include it

these two facts do not help regular driver development. In fact, the
original author of the BSD drivers for Intel wireless chips is also
the primary author of the cooperative Ralink Technology chipset driver;
given a choice it would be wise to choose a wireless adapter with that
chipset over the Intel ones.

Anyway you don't really have a choice, just explaining why things are
as they are.

> > > ACPI especially suspend to RAM?
> >
> > Haven't gotten that to work although apparently disabling USB
> > helps.
>
> hmm.. wouldnt disable usb on my laptop - and SuSE 9.2 currently
> installed does this well.

Maybe this has changed in recent -CURRENTs, I haven't tried it in
a while.

> My major concern is suspend to RAM. I use FreeBSD, but not on my
> laptop so far. Looks like i have to wait a while for the ACPI to
> fully 'mature' on freeBSD ;) I *hate* having to shutdown my laptoy :)

Just try it out. 5.4 has a lot of improvements and I haven't tried
suspend in a few releases so maybe you're in for a nice surprise.

--Stijn

--
"What if everything you see is more than what you see -- the person next to
you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another