What is ata2 ?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 22:54:31 PDT 2005

Joel wrote:

> Yet another question could be how much the lab
> wants to invest on a slow motherboard with broken
> curcuitry (which might also depend on what borked
> the on-board ATA controller).

Although it's going a bit out-of-topic, the
situation is that the Windows desease is very
effective here. Only unused, redundant computers are
available for my alien Unix experiments. Hence my
trouble with ata2 on an old PC.

However, I'm not too unhappy with all this, since
one of my hobbies has become to give discarded
computers a second Unix life, in which they sometimes
outperform the newer ones powered by Windows.....

Having one such old PC now running FreeBSD and being
used for data acquisition, is one of my personal
victories in the lab :).

Rob.