5.1 Support

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun May 1 14:18:12 PDT 2005

Subhro wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> Is there any way to generate 5.1 output with Creative Sound Blaster
> Live! 5.1 sound card when a 5.1 souce file like AC3 is played? The
> driver which is included with the 5.4 is just stereo :-(

I don't think that's true at all.  First requirement, though, is digital
interfacing.  Then, you'll want a program called a52dec, it's in ports,
by that name, but I forget where exactly.  That's the decoder function.

You'll want a card that supports this.  The soundblaster Audigy is very
cheap, and fully supported by the emu10k1 driver.  Support in Linux is
also great, I love that card, and it's cheap.  The driver outputs both
analog and digital simultaneously.

I would very much like to have a source file that had fully separated
test toones, one ofor each channel, so that I could test and verify the
5.1 operation, but I must rely upon my ear, and very poorly separated
sources.  Under those circumstances, I guess I could not really warrant
its correct operation.