Domain Name in postfix on a Local Network

Bill Schmitt (SW) software at schmittnet.com
Sun May 1 11:21:50 PDT 2005

I've been struggling through setting up a mail server on my home
network, with the goal to be running an imap server. As I've indicated
on some other related postings I've made, networking is probably my
weakest side and I need a little help.

I have no real internet name for the box, which I call "schfrbsd" (named
with a dot at the end in rc.conf hostname="schfrbsd."). Using that name,
I've managed to get Samba working and a local web server, but when I
come to mail, I get confused. The network is made up of a bunch of XP
Home Machines, the FreeBSD 4.9 machine, and a Netgear Router/Firewall
that also runs DHCP. I don't think it's relevant here, but the workgroup
name I use for Samba and Windows Peer Networking is "olympia". The
router is called schrout, if that helps.

When I come to configuring postfix, there are entries for myhostname and
mydomain. I believe myhostname should be schbsd. What do I use for
mydomain? Where should I be naming the domain?

Thanks for any help.

Bill