To compile or not to compile the system

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Sun May 1 07:12:02 PDT 2005

On Sun, 1 May 2005 15:19:24 +0000, Vittorio wrote
> Using cvsup, after having issued "make update",  it takes a long
> time to recompile the OS sources and kernel  by means of make buildworld
> make kernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> and then..
> mergemaster -p
> make installworld
> etc...
>
> If I frequently update the OS and ports this procedure becomes time-
> consuming indeed. Is there any way to know in advance if it is
> necessary to comply with the described procedure or if it can be
> skipped because there weren't changes between two close updating?

Subscribe to freebsd-announce at freebsd.org. Then you know when you should
cvsup again and recompile the kernel (when exploits or other security issues
are discovered and corrected).

And you don't have to recompile all your ports every week ;) Once in a few
months is a good approach I think.

Jorn