question about mksnap_ffs and NFS interaction

Alan Horn ahorn at deorth.org
Sun May 1 03:44:16 PDT 2005

Folks,

I have some NFS exported filesystems (home directories) that I'm placing
under snapshots.

Timing of making a snapshot on a 140GB filesystems running about 90% full
takes about 17 seconds.

Given that these filesystems are fairly heavily used homedir filesystems,
what is the expected impact of those 17 seconds on NFS clients.

My guess is that its enough to be seen but not enough to cause NFS
timeouts. So far I've been scheduling snapshots for the middle of the
night, but I'd like to start doing four per day. Does anyone have any data
on the likely impact ?

Please reply direct to me as I'm not subbsed to the list.

Cheers,

Al