ssh - restricted shell

wizlayer wizlayer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 13:28:59 PST 2005

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 04:02 pm, Duane Winner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody know the best technique to accomplish this:
>
> We have a server that we use for mostly internal development,
> and run an SSH server.
>
> We have an outsider who we want to allow to ssh into this
> server and do some work.
>
> However, because he is an outsider, we don't want him roaming
> around our server, moving, looking, doing, or anything outside
> of his own home directory.
>
> How can I restrict him to his own home directory?
>
> I thought I ran into instructions once for doing this, but I
> can't find anything right now.
>
> Or was I thinking of scponly ?
>
> That might do it, except we do need to set him up to to run
> some scripts within his home directory after he uploads stuff
> via scp.
>
> Thanks,
> DW

DW,

I thought this was accomplished when initially setting up a user's
account?  I'm under the impression that when a user clients sshd,
s/he still can't go beyong the boundaries of his/her existing
account on the server.  Of course: if $impression = "delusion"
then someone _please_ correct me!  fi :O

WizLayer