Samba problems

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Mar 29 08:52:20 PST 2005

At 12:29 PM -0300 3/26/05, Alejandro Pulver wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am using FreeBSD 5.3 with Samba 3.0.7,1.
>
>I can read all files from a Windows 2000 Pro. But when I try
>to access a mount point that is an NTFS filesystem, I have
>no read permission (files and directories appear as zero
>length files) until I access them from the server machine
>(like doing an 'ls').

Let me see if I understand the situation:

You have a FreeBSD box running Samba.  You have Win2k boxes
which connect to file shares on that FreeBSD box.  When they
do, the PC's can not access partitions on the FreeBSD box,
unless the FreeBSD box has already accessed them.

I don't quite understand the reference to NTFS.  Are you saying
that the *FreeBSD* box is mounting NTFS partitions, and it then
makes those partitions available to the PC's via Samba?  Where
are those NTFS partitions located?  Are they on the hard drives
of the FreeBSD box?  Or is the FreeBSD box mounting them from
some other file server?

>Note: I have subdirectories under '/mnt' like 'w2k', 'wxp',
>'cam', and 'tmp'.
>
>What am I doing wrong?

What *exactly* is your /etc/fstab file?  The fact that you
have directories under /mnt does not tell us anything about
what filesystems you are mounting, or how they are getting
mounted.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu