a question about the pkg_add and "make install clean"

Abu Khaled khaled.abu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 19:48:24 PST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 03:27:22 +0000, well sun <sunwell at hotmail.com> wrote:

> thanks your answers. I use the ports-supfile and stable-supfile under
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup to do upgrade.
>
> I think I understand what the difference between the pkg_add and "make
> install".
>
> That is if I want to install the latest version, I should use the "make
> install" or get the xxx.tbz from the freebsd-current directory. Is it
> correct?
>
> Could I make the default directory from 5.3-release to 6.0-current by change
> one configuration file? If I want to override the default fetching site of
> "pkg_add" command by some faster sites, how can I do?

you need to set PACKAGESITE environment variable

example for i386 and 5.X STABLE
# setenv PACKAGESITE
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/ALL

If it fails I use this one
# setenv PACKAGESITE
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/Latest

--
Kind regards
Abu Khaled