How to get send-pr/porttools working when on a cable (dsl) provider link

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sun Mar 27 19:00:25 PST 2005

Hi all,

Just migrated all my stuff to a new machine and having troubles sending any
mail to the freebsd lists and inparticular with send-pr. I have a cable modem
connected to my gateway which connects to a gbit switch through which the
other pcs connect. The cable provider uses dhcp. I get my IP ok and my
hostname (sent through dhclient also, otherwise logging on doesn't work) is
danny at cp464173-a.dbsch1.nb.home.nl. I have set up pf to do nat and filtering.
It's not a firewall problem.

I'm having problems getting sendmail (from my desktp -- a client behind the
gateway) to be eligible to send mail to the freebsd servers, particularly
send-pr.

I already set my isp's smtp as smart relay in freensd.mc and did make, but now
my FQDN hostname is not considered cosher (helo)... its desktop.homenet, a
local name.

How do I solve this?

(also...contrast this inconvenience with every non-subscribed spammer being
able to spam us if she has a colo set up properly...)

Thanks very much,

Dan