Portupgrade (vs. Portmanager) question

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Sun Mar 27 18:20:03 PST 2005

Updating a computer, pkg_info reported I only had two packages,
cvsup-without-gui-16.1h and perl-5.8.5, both of which were out
of date as reported by pkg_version.

I tried to install portmanager, but it was not able to get the
needed files from http://portmanager.sunsite.dk.

So, I installed portupgrade. Those files came in fine.

I then did "portupgrade -a -N -vu -rR", which was successful for me
several months ago on another computer.

The computer ran for over nearly two hours, with messages scrolling
by so fast it was nearly impossible to read, filling up the screen with
text.  I used script so as to capture the screen messages; the capture
file of the screen is 1.2MB in size!

Now, pkg_info says I have 10 packages installed; added were ezm3,
gettext, gmake, libiconv, libtool, portupgrade,ruby and ruby18. If
these all required to make portupgrade or perl work, where is that
reference?

Help!  What did I do?

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, California, USA

PS.. I tried to install portmanager again, and this time it got the
files immediately and installed fine. It took about a minute, not two
hours. It reports that all my ports are up to date. Whew.