mot de passe root

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 26 14:09:42 PST 2005

Peter N. M. Hansteen writes:

> Take a peek in /usr/share/locale and /usr/local/share/locale next time
> you're at a FreeBSD or Linux system.

No need.  I can look at the source of almost any UNIX program and see
that there is no provision for localization at all, short of brute
modification of the source code itself.  But this is not unreasonable
for a server operating system, although it's much harder to defend for
software visible to potentially unsophisticated end users.  However,
back in the days when UNIX was written, localization was not a high
priority, and when it was undertaken at all, it was done the hard way,
by rewriting.

> You haven't checked, then.

No, I have not, but I should be _extremely_ surprised if Apple has gone
through all the UNIX source code and modified it to permit easy
localization.  That would come perilously close to a rewrite.

--
Anthony