Samba problems

Alejandro Pulver alejandro at varnet.biz
Sat Mar 26 08:53:51 PST 2005

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:59:11 +0100
Stefan Haglund <stefan.haglund at crystalnorth.com> wrote:

> First of all, make sure those mounts are accessible for normal users,
> if you haven't. It's under the options for the mount in /etc/fstab, I
> think. You can always do a 'man fstab' if unsure.
>
> Does the username/password (check out 'smbpasswd') you are using to
> connect to samba exist in the samba user database? If not, samba won't
>
> know who you are, and will use the default guest user to access files
> (usually very restricted). That might be why you can access the mounts
> when you log in to the server, but not through server.
>
> If you go with the first, ALL users will have access. If you want to
> restrict it to, say,  a certain group, you have to go with the second
> solution I think (and add users in the samba user database).
>
> Hope I got the issue correctly, else I dunno :-).
>
> Regards,
> Stefan Haglund

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I am using the security level "SHARE" with "guest" enabled (I have only
two machines on my network).

The mounts are accessible by normal users (like "ale"), the permissions
in '/mnt/w2k/' are 'rwxr-xr-x', the owner is "root" and group "wheel".

I would like to add that I also have another share that is a FAT32
partition (WinXP) and I can browse it from the other machine (like
everything else).

I tried to map the guest account to the user "ale" that I use (and I can
access '/mnt/w2k'), but nothing happened.

This only happens in a NTFS mount point. The files and directories show
as truncated, and I can not "see" (determine size, copy, determine
if it is a file or directory, etc.) them until I do an operation over
them with any normal user in the server, then I can see the files/dirs
affected by the operation I did (ls, etc.). Before I only see the
entries (names) without attributes (permissions, directory flag, etc.).

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ale