.cshrc

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Mar 25 16:23:15 PST 2005

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 12:55:17AM +0100, Gert Cuykens wrote:
> > > I created a new user and put a .cshrc in his home directory but
> > > nothing happens ?
> >
> > Why should anything happen?  What did you expect to happen?
>
> This :)
>
> FX-53# cat .cshrc

[snip]

That was not decription of anything happening. It was just the contents
of a file.  If you meant that you expected that file to be read when
you started a shell, and that you did start such a shell, then you
should say so.

> So the question is why does root uses csh shell and the a user a sh
> shell.

Historical reasons mainly.

> What brings me to the following question , What is the best
> shell to use :)

Whichever one you prefer is obviously the best one for you.
Personally I prefer zsh.  Other people have other preferences.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se