portupgrade overview

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Fri Mar 25 13:43:24 PST 2005

I've used portupgrade for a while without really knowing much about
it. I suppose thats a benefit.

However, when it comes to really controlling the portupgrade
processes, I find the man page of minimal use.

Thats becuase the man pages seem to be written for someone who already
knows everything that portupgrade is doing, ie there seems to be a lot
of a priori knowledge expected of the reader.

I am hoping there is better documentation of portupgrade. Something
that specifies the reasons behind what it does -- why some of the
switches are necessary, how to hold back upgrade of certain ports, how
to only allow security updates to happen, etc.

Does any such document exist?
--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257