File corruption on uploaded files occuring (even under light load)

Stefan Haglund stefan.haglund at crystalnorth.com
Fri Mar 25 08:00:55 PST 2005

I have an IWILL KK266-R (VIA KT133A/686B) board with an 1.4GHz processor
running as a FreeBSD file & web server. The NIC is an Intel EtherExpress
PRO/100 (I think it's called, fxp anyway). This board has an AMI RAID
controller (CMD 649) onboard, which I use for all four drives (although
not in RAID).

My problem:
Files uploaded to this server are sometimes corrupted. It doesn't have
to be under high load, like directly uploading from a computer. It can
also occur when I'm downloading from the internet on a computer, and
save the file to the server. Another thing that is wierd, is that when
the computer is fresh from a boot, there is always a few netstat Oerrs
(5-30 I've seen this far) errors occuring when downloading or uploading,
and never again.

I have run mprime stresstest for a good while, with no complaints. I
have also tried another NIC, and also moving the NIC to other PCI slots.
I've tried with kernels without APIC, tried disabling ACPI, and I've
also disabled throttling. My friend is running a similar setup on his
server, although a KT266A chipset, and no RAID controller (southbridge
IDE), and it is solid as a rock.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing these corruptions? Chipset?
NIC? RAID controller?

Regards,
Stefan Haglund