looking for a shell editor

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Mar 25 04:31:09 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 01:09:52PM +0100, Gert Cuykens wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:43:44 +0100, Frank Staals <f.staals at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> >  Dan Nelson wrote:
> >  In the last episode (Mar 24), Gert Cuykens said:
> >  Looking for a shell editor that can open two files at the same time on the
> > same screen splitting the screen horizontal ? Please dont answer emac or vi
> > they are not made for teletubies :( I like the ee or mc editor but i dont
> > think mc editor can open two files at the same time/ Try editors/joe-devel
> > (which should probably be renamed to plain editors/joe) Jep joe is realy
> > cool, its my default text-editor and it can be used in a split-screen mode.
> >
> >  you should probably get used to the commands you can use, first ctrl+ k
> > seems a litle weird but when you get used to it it realy rules ( in fact
> > when I'm working at school in word or notepad and I want to save my stuff I
> > automatically do ctrl + k + d ) :D
> >
> >  ctrl + k rules after you get used to it
> >
> >  Good Luck
> >
> >  Frank Staals
> >

> Yep joe looks great. But i dont understand why they use ^K so much ?
> What is the logic behind ^K what does K stand for ? I would understand
> ^J on all the special joe key bindings but ^K ?

The default keybindings in Joe are based on those used in WordStar
which used ^K (as well as ^Q) for many commands, so it is mainly
historical reasons.  WordStar used to be very popular so many people
are already familiar with those keybindings (either directly from
WordStar, or from one of the many other programs that also used some
variant of them.)

I don't think K stands for anything really - I think it was chosen
mainly because it was placed in a convenient position on the keyboard.

The WordStar keybindings might not seem very logical at first glance,
but ones fingers very quickly learn them. (Unlike e.g. the default
keybindings in Emacs which are quite logical, but which I usually find
difficult to remember.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson