mot de passe root

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Thu Mar 24 01:10:38 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 10:05 +0100, Josh Ockert wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:51:51 +0000, Peter Risdon
> <peter at circlesquared.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 08:54 +0100, Josh Ockert wrote:
> > > I've noticed that nobody responds negatively to questions by Russian
> > > speakers, but that French speakers are told not to ask questions here.
> > > I don't believe this is a fair response.
> >
> > Perhaps, though I'm not sure myself what is said in Russian to them
> > whereas I can read the French. But the reply in, I think, Swedish to
> > this question in French was a very good indication of what an impossible
> > babel this or any other list would be if a single language were not
> > declared and respected.
> >
> > Peter.
> >

> You could equally argue that this place is already a babel; mentally
> disregarding messages in foreign languages should be just as easy as
> ignoring the questions about particular hardware you know nothing
> about. We're all Internet literate here (at any rate, most of us ;) ),
> which suggests that we've the ability to pick out the important and/or
> applicable bits from masses of information.

No, I'm sorry but that seems to me to be a non sequitur. We can
understand questions we are not competent to answer if they are in
English, learn from the replies and if we hit the same issues ourselves
we can google and get a reply we can understand. You are suggesting this
incredibly useful situation be broken, if I understand you right. And
this applies to French and Russian speakers equally: this is an English
list, there are also French and Russian lists. I'd argue just as
strongly that postings to the French list should be in French.

Peter.