Installation Order for Win XP Pro, SuSE 9.2, & FreeBSD 5.3

Bob Perry rperry4 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 22 22:07:42 PST 2005

I intend to re-install multiple operating systems onto a box
which already has Win XP Pro and SuSE 9.2.  After some thought,
I've decided to add FreeBSD 5.3 and, in addition, change the
Win XP Pro filesytem from NTFS to FAT32 to facilitate file-
sharing.  If I understand what I've been reading, I should be
able to modify both the Linux and FreeBSD kernels to read and/or
write ext2fs and UFS1 data as well.

I'm prepared to clear the harddrive and start from scratch and I
question whether or not there is a prescribed order for
installation.  I understand that Windows has a habit of
overwriting data in the MBR and installing its' own loader so
the recommendation is to load it first.  Whether, Linux or FreeBSD
is next I'm not sure and would welcome your input.

I realize that there are third-party bootloaders available, but
I have a feeling that I can learn more about these systems if I
work with what they offer.

I have a 120GB Western Digital HD, an ASUS P4P800-VM motherboard,
and a Pentium 2.8GHz CPU.

This is not currently my primary box, but who knows what may happen
in the near future.

Thanks in advance.  This is a huge undertaking for me at this time.

Bob Perry

--
I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly
distributed.

FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p2 #0