Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Mar 22 05:24:11 PST 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 4:25 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Freminlins writes:
>
>> On a different OS.
>
> Exactly.  With _identical_ hardware.  So if the hardware ran under the
> other OS, but not under this OS, where do you look first for the
> problem?

Depends on the problem.  Windows 98 needed more reboots than NT did on
the same hardware.   By your comparison they should be the same in
reliability and performance, no?

> If your car runs perfectly for years with one brand of oil, and then
> you
> change brands and the engine seizes, where do you look for the source
> of
> the problem?

But you didn't replace the oil.  You replaced the engine and
transmission.  The OS is a little more than "just changing the oil" in
car analogies.

>> Don't try and put your words in my mouth.
>
> I'm just pointing out the unavoidable implication of what you said.  NT
> ran on this hardware for eight years without a hitch; FreeBSD cannot do
> the same.  It's not the hardware.

Actually I think he suggested that NT was hiding the problem.  And I
*HAVE* seen that happen with a system that I switched to Linux.

>> On your ancient hardware with an ancient OS you didn't have problems.
>
> UNIX is twenty years older than NT.

Is anyone on this list running a twenty year old version of UNIX on
their system?  Most are running something of at least the 4.x line of
FreeBSD, I thought...

>> Why not stick with it if it's been so reliable?
>
> I wanted to try FreeBSD.

You tried it, you didn't like it, reinstall NT and see if diagnostic
software turns anything up and if not then see if the hardware
continues to run hunky-dory for the next year or so without failing.
No harm, no foul.

If you really wanted to troubleshoot this, you'd find someone else that
can get similar hardware to configure and see if they can reproduce the
problem, or at least have you work with them on getting a trace of the
problem (or try some liveboot Linux CDs to see if the errors show up
there too).  The FreeBSD team isn't going to chase their tails over one
reported incident that seems specific to your hardware if you can't
eliminate the possibility that your hardware is bad or has a bad
connector or any of a myriad of problems that we've run into when
previously working system just "happened" to stop working.

> Is that what you tell people who have trouble getting FreeBSD to work?
> "Reinstall your old OS"?

Usually the first one I've heard is to check the compatibility list,
because that's hardware that it's been tested on.  Your hardware is on
the list?