Anthony's drive issue.

RacerX racerx at makeworld.com
Mon Mar 21 11:33:08 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> RacerX writes:
>
>> 1. Upgrade the system BIOS
>> 2. Upgrade the firmware in the SCSI controller
>> 3. Upgrade the firmware in the array (if applicable)
>>
>> Ther may be a bug-a-boo in one of those. If you have not - consider doing
>> so and see if this "may" correct your issues.
>
> Show me that it's not a bug in FreeBSD first.  I never had the problem
> in Windows NT.  I'm not going to upgrade every bit of hardware and
> software in the box just to prove it _isn't_ FreeBSD, when FreeBSD
> represents the only change to a machine that has run without fail for
> eight years.  I also don't believe in throwing darts to solve problems.
>
> --
> Anthony

Anthony -

 	A few things - considering the hardware is 8 years plus, can we
assume you never updated/upgraded the firmware on the above mentioned.

 	Assuming that to be true, you are taking an virtually new OS
(FreeBSD in this case) and imposing it on old hardware (again, assuming
the firmware was never upgraded) and expect it to preform without issues.

 	Any Server+ or even A+ tech knows that from time to time, you need
to upgrade/update your firmware.  So, why not give it a shot? At least try
to bring your 8 year old hardware a bit closer to 2004/2005 with a
firmware hoist.

 	It can't hurt - if anything, it will allow many new features added
to the old stuff to whatever OS of choice you deem to use.

 	That's just plain common sence. If however you don't feel you
qualified to do this (as outlined if you are A+ or Server+ ) then we'll
all understand.

First rule - NEVER assume it's anything - always look at EVERY possible
solution.

Best regards,

Chris