password length default install

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Fri Mar 18 08:37:39 PST 2005

Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> What is the password lenght one may use at login? I didn't change the
> defaults on my fbsd-4.11 (login passwd md5 ??)
>
> I remember linux had as default some eight chars or so. I want to use
> more chars for some accounts. Can I safely use 10-12 chars?

# man passwd          (4.x)

The new password should be at least six characters long (which may
be overridden using the login.conf(5) ``minpasswordlen'' setting for
a user's login class) and not purely alphabetic.  Its total length
must be less than _PASSWORD_LEN (currently 128 characters).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348