If I have portmanager, do I need portupgrade?

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Wed Mar 16 17:03:20 PST 2005

On Sunday 13 March 2005 20:05, Fafa Diliha Romanova wrote:
> If I just do:
>
> cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile && portmanager -u
>
> Do I need portupgrade at all then?

I think you do, as I understand the situation, portmanager lacks two
significant features.

1.  All ports have an implicit dependence on FreeBSD itself which isn't
recorded in the package database,   so AFAIK portmanager doesn't
automatically rebuild all ports after an upgrade of the basic system, and
doesn't provide the means to force an upgrade.

Portupgrade can force the rebuilding of all ports with -fa; better still it
can force the upgrade of ports built before a specified date, which gives a
restartable rebuild. I've been trying portmanager recently, but I found  this
feature of portupgrade very useful when  I upgraded  my hardware and  needed
to alter my optimizations from P3 down to 686, and then up to althlon-xp.

2 it lacks the ability  to force a rebuild of dependent ports after a port has
been rebuilt with new build options.