NFS and rc.conf options (statd lockd, necessary?)

Benjamin Keating motionsiren at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:29:58 PST 2005

Im running FreeBSD 5.2.1 and 5.3 machines

The server is 5.2.1 and has the following in it's rc.conf:
----
nfs_client_enable="YES"           # This host is an NFS client (YES/NO).
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"      # Provide NFS only on secure port (YES/NO).
nfs_server_enable="YES"           # This host is an NFS server (YES/NO).
rpcbind_enable="YES"              # Run the portmapper service (YES/NO).
----

My Clients (most;ly 5.3) rc.confs have:
----
nfs_client_enable="YES"        # This host is an NFS client (or NO).
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"   # Provide NFS only on secure port (or NO)
rpcbind_enable="YES"             # Run the portmapper service (YES/NO).
----

My question is, in /etc/defaults/rc.conf I see:
----
rpc_lockd_enable="NO"           # Run NFS rpc.lockd needed for client/server.
rpc_statd_enable="NO"           # Run NFS rpc.statd needed for client/server.
----

Are these to be used or are they obsolete? I don't understand why the
handbook makes no mention of these and I'd like to know what they are.
How do you have your NFS setup?