5.3-release fine with 512MB RAM, reboots at times with 1.5GB (but no panic)

Jason Henson jason at ec.rr.com
Tue Mar 15 19:35:15 PST 2005

On 03/15/05 22:10:27, Jean Lagarde wrote:
> I have been troubleshooting reboots over the last weekend, I think I
> might have enough clues now to get some useful hints from an expert.
>
> FreeBSD 5.3-release (see dmesg below for details)
>
> The problem seems to be with trying to run with 1.5GB vice 512MB of
> RAM. The system has not had problems so far when I only leave the
> 512MB stick in. When I add the 1GB stick the system will reboot at
> specific times, for example, while trying to launch KDE3 or trying to
> make OpenOffice (always reboots at "Extracting for
> openoffice-1.1.2-1"). I do not see any panic in the messages log, the
> system just silently reboots.
>
> I initially installed FreeBSD with only the 512MB stick in.
>
> The memory itself seems fine; memtest86 detects no errors.
>
> At boot time all the memory is detected:
>
> real memory  = 1610547200 (1535 MB)
> avail memory = 1568432128 (1495 MB)
>
> Running "memtest all" only seems to find 512MB to use. It evidently
> makes no assumption about how much memory is there, starting by
> trying to malloc 4GB and reducing the amount gradually until it
> finally successfully mallocs 512 MB and eventually manages to lock
> 413 MB (failed due to "insufficient resources" above that). The tests
> on the 413 MB do pass.
>
> I have rebuilt the kernel with VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX=419430400 as
> suggested in the FAQ. No change.
>
> Would setting MAXMEM to 1572864 help? I am not sure since the correct
> amount is reported by FreeBSD at boot, and right now trying to make
> the kernel with that option seems to be another case that reboots the
> machine (i.e. the make process itself reboots the machine) so I have
> not tried it yet (guess I would have to remove the 1GB  stick to make
> the new kernel and then put it back to try it out).
>
> Thank you for any help.

What happens with just the gig stcik?  What happens when you switch the
slots the sticks are in?  Are the sticks the sam brand?  Are the
brands/brand supported? http://www.sis.com/support/support_memory_3.htm
Are you overclocking?

intersresting read on the sis memory controller
http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/asus_p4s333/

I also find it hard to believe you have a bad mptable.  Maybe you could
check for a new bios?  It is kind of funny if sis used the ms acpi
tools and not intels for an intel system.  I say this because I have
never heard of problems from the intel acpi tools, and ms is the only
other set I know of.