logitech cordless mouse w/ freebsd 5.3 stable

Eric eric at bsdunix.us
Mon Mar 14 15:33:14 PST 2005

Chuck Robey wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Eric wrote:
>

>>I removed above this  to save some bandwidth, as bandwidth is not free
>>every where in the world :)

>>>I am running FreeBSD-6.0-current, but I bet it works for you like it works
>>>(just fine) for me.  Try it, what have you got to lose?  However, if it
>>>works, you owe us a usage report, Sirrah!
>>>
>>>Anyhow, FreeBSD is not terribly willing to share the mouse.  When it
>>>boots, the stupid thing will start 'moused' processes on both mouses.
>>>Check this with:
>>>
>>>ps -ax | grep mouse
>>>
>>>if it's like I think it is, one of the lines that come back will report a
>>>device filename of ums0.  You need this process dead, dead, dead.  You
>>>*could*, I suppose, edit /etc/usbd.conf ...
>>>
>>>After you do that, the stuff you have above for Xorg isn't enough either,
>>>cause you left out the wheel.  take those lines out and replace them with
>>>
>>>Section "InputDevice"
>>>       Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>>       Driver      "mouse"
>>>       Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>>>       Option      "Device" "/dev/ums0"
>>>       Option "Buttons" "5"
>>>       Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>>>EndSection
>>>
>>>Don't forget, at the top:
>>>
>>>Section "ServerLayout"
>>>       Identifier     "X.org Configured"
>>>       Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>>>       InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>>>       InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>>>EndSection
>>>

>>>Try this, tell me how it works.
>>>

>>Chuck,
>>  Setting my mouse driver to "ums0", will make X crash before loading.
>>My box never reported the ums0 device/the usb mouse. The usbd is
>>running. There is no moused processes running on this box, as it is
>>disabled in /etc/rc.conf. I get the scroll wheel to work as a middle
>>button, but you are right, the scroll feature does not work.
>>

>Just 1 thing I need to confirm: did you kill the moused process BEFORE
>starting X?  Because if you didn't, that's exactly what happens to me.  I
>need to kill the moused process that is tying up ums0, then I can start up
>X.

I do not have any problem with the moused running at all (after doing
the steps in the original email). Also as far as my os is concerned
there is no USB mouse attached to the workstation. We are using
different versions of FreeBSD :)

By editing /etc/rc.conf and adding this line at the end:
moused_enable="NO" , and then rebooting, keeps my moused from starting.
I suppose I could have done #killall -9 moused *and* edited /etc/rc.conf
with no immediate reboot. When I appended the line to
/boot/device.hints, I rebooted for that too. This box is a workstation
with one user, me, so uptime is not a issue.

As far as the order of the steps, please see the original email. I did
start X last after doing everything in the original email, as the mouse
did not work at all until all steps were complete.

>>        Option "Buttons" "5"
>>        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>>
>>Setting those two options does not enable the scroll wheel. I think that
>>is due to the generic PS/2 driver reported in dmesg. Having a working
>>scroll  wheel was never  a issue for  me :) Also note, I never tried
>>FreeBSD 6.x .
>>

>No, let's fix the mouse first, then we worry about the mouse wheel.

I re-read "man psm" and I believe the flags i set (/boot/device.hints)
keep the mouse driver at level 0.
A level 1 driver would make the scroll wheel work. When I boot with a
level 1 driver, my mouse is completly dead in X. It is beyond my skills
and desire, to code a custom driver :)