Requirements for FreeBSD CDROM and DVD Publishers

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 14 10:11:56 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 04:27:20PM +0000, store at teknikalsoul.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently own a site that offers Debian and NetBSD CD-ROM sets for sale.  I am
> interested in becoming a FreeBSD CD-ROM publisher and offering a FreeBSD
> 5.3-RELEASE CD-ROM set for the i386 architecture for sale on my site.  Are there
> any specific requirements I would need to fulfill in order to do this?

If you want to resell the ISO images provided by freebsd.org on the
ftp site I think there is a README file there that gives permission.
If you want to resell the additional CD images sold by
e.g. freebsdmall.com then you'd need to obtain permission from them,
since they own the compilation copyright.  If you want to construct
your own additional CD images then you can do that any way you like.
The only thing to be aware of is that some packages available on the
ftp site may not be sold, according to the license terms provided by
the original authors.

Kris

    -- Charles Forsythe <forsythe at alum.mit.edu>