CD Doesn't boot

Alejandro Pulver alejandro at varnet.biz
Mon Mar 14 08:45:53 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:01:10 -0600
"Teilhard Knight" <teilhk at crosswinds.net> wrote:

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 5.3 in a laptop which I just recently
> bought. Problem is that the installation CD wouldn't boot. I have
> tried burning several brands of disks and trying them in other
> computers and I am now sure is not the media. I even disabled
> hyperthreading in the BIOS and nothing. Anyone can offer some advise
> about what to do?
>
> Teilhard.

Hello,

If you have set up your BIOS settings properly (to boot from a CD, and
then from the disk), and it does not boot, maybe you just burned the ISO
as a normal file in the CD.

An ISO file is an image of the entire CD (it has a TOC, the
bootable part, etc.), and to burn it there should be an option on the
burning program (something containing the word "ISO", and a browser to
select a file).

Check this, if when you burn the cd and you read it you see only the ISO
file, it is not right. If you see a lot of directories like 'boot',
'packages', it is fine, and it should boot.

Best Regards,
Ale