no flames, please.

Don Tyson tyson at stanfordalumni.org
Fri Mar 11 18:03:51 PST 2005

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 05:49:24PM -0500, Don Tyson wrote:
> > I am running XandrOS Linux on an old Digital PC box. It is almost
> > scarily Windows-like, but installs in a snap and, if you buy the
> > full edition, comes with Crossover Office for all the Windows
> > applications you can't wait to run. On another test box (a Dell), MS Office
> > ran just fine under XandrOS Linux and Crossover Office.
> >
> > It updates just like Windows Update (which is good or bad, depending
> > on your point of view).
> >

> 	Or maybe you mean: All the Windows apps you can't wait to
> 	have crash and burn!!  Can you run this flavor of Linux
> 	and dual-boot FBSD?  About the *only* thing I want to use
> 	Win for is the billions and billions of CD apps.  Like
> 	French, and "make your own greeting cards" and maybe a
> 	few classic card/board games.
>
> 	gary
>
> 	PS:  When did DEC ever have a PeeCee?  I remember their
> 	11/* machines fondly; the next thing I knew they got
> 	bought out by a PC firm.

It's a Digital 5000 with a PII. As for Windows apps, I understand that
the simpler they are the better they run; I've tried Quicken and
Windows Media Player with no problems; MS Office
won't load on this box, although it ran on the Dell.

I understand Crossover Office is simply a
tweaked version of Wine. XandrOS has a list of Windows stuff they've
tested.  Their X desktop is a slimmed-down version of KDE.

I haven't dual-booted this particular Linux, but I don't know why you
couldn't. You don't need a Windows OS to use Crossover Office; it will
create its own fake C: drive when installed. It comes with Lilo and
maybe Grub, I think, but you can always use the FreeBSD boot manager as well.

For what it's worth, Digital 5000s are available, or were last year,
on eBay for around $30; without hard drives. Shipping was about double
that.

Don