how to install Windows on an existing partition?

Pietro Cerutti pietro.cerutti at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 11:31:14 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:04:55 -0300, Alejandro Pulver
<alejandro at varnet.biz> wrote:

> Hello,

Hi there, thank you for your reply.

> Windows (and also a msdos filesystem, I think) needs a whole slice
> (thoose you edit with 'fdisk', called "partition" by Windows) to install
> (it does not understand a BSD slice with labels). You can also just
> leave some free space in the disk (the BSD slice must not cover the
> whole disk) and then Windows should create another partition (slice) to
> install itself.

This was my fear....

> I think your partition layout is as follows (sizes in Mbytes):
>
> | a 150 | b 1500 | d 5120 | g 9880 | e 20480 | f 20101 | END 0 |
>    0       150      1650     6770     16650     37130     57231

Right!

> So you will have to delete 'g', and move all the partitions before near
> to 'd'. Or in the other direction. Change the slice size ('fdisk').

I can delete 'g' withoud problems, but then:
- how do I move the partitions?
- how do I resize the slice (which takes the whole disk) ?

> If something of this looks unclear mail me.

Sure!

> Best Regards,

Cheers.

> Ale
>
> P.S.: how did you do to resize the partition 'd' to put 'g' after it
> (just changing the BSD labels)?

I deleted 'd', created a smaller 'd', and then created 'g'.

--
Pietro "Piter" Cerutti
<pietro.cerutti at gmail.com>

Beansidhe - SwiSS Death / Thrash Metal