/usr/local/etc/rc.d scripts: echo on startup

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Mar 10 04:23:31 PST 2005

On 2005-03-10 06:45, Fafa Diliha Romanova <fteg at london.com> wrote:
> hello.
>
> i'm just wondering how to deal with the way the rc.d scripts echo on startup.
> like, some of the rc.d scripts contain the echo " daemon", while some echo "daemon",
> so on startup whereas it should look like:
>
> daemon daemon deamon
>
> it may look like:
>
> daemondaemon daemon 1.2 Loaded successfully!daemon
>
> is there a uniform way to identify echos and make them display properly?
> thanks!

I usually edit the offending scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d:

	# cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
	# vi *

and make them all use a uniform notification:

	echo -n " foo"

This does require a bit of shell scripting foo, but it shouldn't be
that hard.  If it proves more difficult than you expected, feel free
to post the script here or personally to me and ask for help.

- Giorgos