Native POSIX threads + Java under FreeBSD 5.3 release i386

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Thu Mar 10 01:53:22 PST 2005

Hi all,

As is typical, I have once again been given very limited time to get
something running, and there are some interesting things to figure about
about it. :)

In brief, the application is a distributed one, loosely based on some
CORBA concepts, though differently (fortunately!). The supported
programming languages are C/C++/Java/Ada, of which Java will probably be
the one we would like to use.

Now, the issue is (or may be), that the recommended (and only tested)
platforms are Solaris and Linux (particularly Red Hat and SuSe - kernel
versions 9). The apparent reason for this, is that the platform requires
the NPTL (Native Posix Threads Library).

I'm looking somewhat into the support for NPTL under FreeBSD 5.3 release
i386, and I have come across the following URL:
http://www.unobvious.com/bsd/freebsd-threads.html
 From this, it sounds like the LinuxThreads (i.e.
/usr/ports/devel/linuxthreads) should do the trick.

However, I have no experience with these threads and I wonder whether it
is a good idea to try to get the platform working under FreeBSD (my
favourite Unix), or whether it may be better to install Red Hat or SuSe
this once. :)

Can anyone tell me something about the following:
1) Does the linuxthreads library provide 100% NPTL support, as under Linux?
2) Does usage of the library incur a kernel recompilation, or will all
scripts of the platform have to be changed such that the linuxthreads
library is linked in?
3) A different question: what is the best JDK 1.4.x port to install, and
does one of those perhaps have support for NPTL?

I hope anyone can help me out a bit with this, even if it only is about
whether to make the best choice between figuring out how to get this
platform going under FreeBSD (being the Unix with which most experience
I have), or whether to try to go Linux and have a -perhaps- more
straightforward installation of the platform (at the expense of not
knowing the particular intricacies of those Linuxes).

Help/opinions are very much appreciated. :)

Cheers!
Olafo