QEMU needs /dev/tun0 ?

bsdzz bsdzz at verizon.net
Wed Mar 9 18:32:16 PST 2005

Hi,

I am trying to run Windows 2000 inside QEMU, and it works well (though a
bit slow).  In order to get my emulated machine on the Internet, I have
to use "/dev/tun0".  I read online that the default FreeBSD 5.x has
"tun" turned on in the kernel, but I do not appear to have a "/dev/tun0"
device.
Does anybody know anything about this?

I tried using the "-user-mode" networking, and it worked - I can ping
10.0.2.2, but I cannot talk to any computer except my FreeBSD host.  So
I think I need to figure out "tun".

Most of the literature on the internet related to "tun" and "tun/tap"
seems to be about linux, but I suspect FreeBSD is similar.  I am really
impressed with QEMU!

thx