postfix on FreeBSD

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Mar 9 12:33:05 PST 2005

On Mar 9, 2005, at 10:56 AM, Paul Schmehl wrote:

> --On Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:43:05 AM -0500 Bart Silverstrim
> <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> wrote:
>>
>> I then ran the commands
>> postmap /usr/local/etc/postfix/access
>
> Should be:
> postmap hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/access
>
> man (1) postmap

I was running the command as was outlined in the access file...from
that file, it says:
#        /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf:
#            smtpd_client_restrictions =
#                check_client_access hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/access
#
#        /usr/local/etc/postfix/access:
#            1.2.3   REJECT
#            1.2.3.4 OK
#
#        Execute the command "postmap /usr/local/etc/postfix/access"
after
#        editing the file.

I think I know what was happening...the main.cf file didn't have the
smtpd_recipient_restrictions directive in it, and postfix used
reasonable defaults.  When I set smtpd_recipient_restrictions, it
overrode the defaults, and was complaining because it wanted some
reasonable settings placed in there along with my customized settings.
So my actual line to put in would be something like,

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_recipient_access
hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/access, permit_mynetworks,
reject_unauth_destination

in main.cf, correct?