Adding a 2nd disk without messing with the 1st

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Tue Mar 8 16:26:09 PST 2005

Chris wrote:

>I have a 5.3 system that has an 80 gig drive. I wish to add another to
>it. What's the best (easiest) way to expand this with little to no
>effect on the current drive.

shutdown machine, plug in disk, switch machine on. (if it's a USB disk
you can skip the on off part)

Seriously adding another drive should make no difference at all to your
existing drive.  Once the new drive is in you'll need to partition it
(man fdisk), label it (man bsdlabel) and decide where to mount it (man
mount).

John