STB2 BT878 - sound works under Windows XP and btwincap, doesn't with bktr

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sun Mar 6 18:01:58 PST 2005

On Monday 7 March 2005 02:35, tweek wrote:
> I have an STB2 bt878 card, purchased for $12 on eBay. It works great
> under XP with btwincap, with or without an analog audio cable that
> runs from the card to my soundcard. In FreeBSD with a kernel compiled
> with bktr support, I can see video clearly with fxtv
> (http://tweek.no-ip.org/stuff/hockey.png) but can't hear anything.
> (Tried both audio internal and audio auto modes.)
>
> None of the mixers are muted; sound works. Here's some relevant lines
> from my dmesg:
>
> bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xd0001000-0xd0001fff irq 11 at device 14.0 on
> pci0 bktr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> bktr0: STB TV/PCI, Philips FR1236 NTSC FM tuner, dbx stereo.
> pci0: <multimedia> at device 14.1 (no driver attached)
> pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0x1040-0x107f irq 5 at device 15.0 on pci0
> pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9721/23 AC97 Codec>
> pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
>
> ... and some relevant lines from my kernel:
>
> device          joy
> device          bktr
> device          iicbus
> device          iicbb
> device          iicsmb
> device          smbus
> options         BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_NTSC
> options         OVERRIDE_CARD=3
> options         OVERRIDE_TUNER=9
> options         BKTR_NEW_MSP34XX_DRIVER
> device          sio
> device          sound
> device          "snd_es137x"

Though msp34xxx sound should be able to work (that is via the tuner) most
people (/me too) resort to connecting the TV card's cound-out to one of the
soundcard's line-in inlets. I'd recommend this. Tuning channels/frequencies
should change the picture as well as the sound. You'd use auto for audio in
fxtv and use your mixer to adjust the level.

HTH,

Dan