any ideas why these xorg hassles???

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Fri Mar 4 10:11:48 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:03:34PM -0500, Chris Shenton wrote:
> Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> writes:
>
> > 	Another couple things.  With XFree, I set the DefaultDepth'
> > 	to 8; now, on both computers it is maxed out at 16.  If I
> > 	do set the default depth to 8, xdm fails.  (It "tries" to'
> > 	initialize, then something clicks/resets, the screen
> > 	flashes grey for an instant; repeats infinitely.)
>
> I'm on 5.4-PRERELEASE#15 built last evening, running Xorg-6.8.1, and
> noticed the same click-crash-burn-repeat when I dropped from 24 or 16
> to 8 bits.  No idea why, I was trying to be conservative to test
> something else.  Was fine when I set it back to 16 or 24.

	AHHH.  Samw symptons, different day.  I first used
	startx to get my ye-ancient twm window manager,  and
	startx works at 8 bits.  But the screen still shimmies/quivers
	or whatever.  But only if I use cc to build a large port
	or if I mess around with some GUI app.

	gary

	PS:  If XFree is to "staid" or slow-to-change, xorg is
	     tearing exactly the other way.  My $0.02 worth.

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix