Stable device names for USB disks?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Mar 2 18:44:44 PST 2005

In the last episode (Mar 02), John Pettitt said:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
> >- Use geom_label, label your FAT32 or ufs filesystems, and always
> >  /mount dev/msdosfs/blah or /dev/ufs/blah
>
> Very cool - I built a stripe set whihc is showing up fine a
> /dev/stripe/data2 but I can't get a single volume to show up
>
> I did tunefs -L data /dev/da1s1d - added GEOM_LABEL to the kernel
> config, rebuilt and rebooted but no /dev/ufs appears - what am I
> missing?

Try setting the sysctl kern.geom.label.debug=2 (you will need to put it
in /boot/loader.conf and reboot since you built the module into the
kernel).  That should print out some debugging as to what filesystems
geom_label sees and why it is rejecting yours.  In my case, my /usr
filesystem doesn't get a label because I have grown the partition it
lives in so that the filesystem size in the superblock doesn't match
the partition size anymore.  / and /var 's labels do appear though.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com