security advisories and the creating time of my system

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Mar 2 10:13:23 PST 2005

Gruss

On Mar 2, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Stevan Tiefert wrote:

>> $FreeBSD: src/sbin/ifconfig/ifconfig.c,v 1.92 2003/10/26 04:36:47
>> peter Exp $
>>
>> Basically, if your sources, or the particular source file in question,
>> are not newer than correction date listed in the security alert then
>> you
>> need to follow the directions to fix or workaround the problem.
>>
>> Nathan
>>

> Hello Nathan,
>
> in a security advisory in part V. is written:
>
> V.   Solution
>
> Perform one of the following:
>
> 1) Upgrade your vulnerable system to 4-STABLE or 5-STABLE, or to the
> RELENG_5_3, RELENG_5_2, RELENG_4_10, or RELENG_4_8 security branch
> dated
> after the correction date.
>
> Can you say me how to get of a running system the date? Because if the
> system is after the correction date I do not have to download via ftp.
> If
> not I have to...

Do you have sources (/usr/src tree) on your system?  Then do what
nathan said -- look at the date in the source file for the thing the
security advisory was about.

There are also various patch levels, though I am not sure where they
are documented.  That would show in the "uname -a" as for example
"5.3-RELEASE-p5"

Chad