make, etc, whereis, commands broken

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Mar 2 14:25:59 GMT 2005

Warren <shinjii at virusinfo.rdksupportinc.com> writes:

> > That depends on what you did.  If they're completely gone, you'll need
> > to get them back; backups are the traditional way of fixing this.  In
> > the worst case, a complete base system reinstall (possibly updating
> > from source, if you have enough of your system left to do that) will
> > fix it up.
>
> /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/make/make and all the other commands that dont work
> exist like the make command, but when something like a make install or
> portupgrade etc is issued it fails ... so i've obviously stuffed the main
> commands.

Well, since we still have no idea what you actually did to your
system, there's no way we can give exact directions for repairing it.
Is /usr/bin/make present at all?  If not, you'll have to reinstall it
*somehow*, and the same for other missing executables.

> Most other things work its mainly the make, whereis, vi, clear, fetch, ftp and
> other things that rely on make ....
>
> If i re-do the base system will that then cause the various ports i have
> running to need re-configuring.. e.g. dhcp, named httpd etc

Not necessarily.  Particularly if you "re-do" the base system from the
exact same release you were running.

> This sort of thing is really beyong my present knowledge lvl of BSD at
> present, so exscuse the dumb questions.

If you asked more *precise* questions, we would have a much easier
time providing specific answers.  It would also be useful if you
provided more information on your system, as well as its problems.
See "How to get the best results from FreeBSD questions"
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/