raid1 with gmirror (some questions left)

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Thu Jun 30 20:17:09 GMT 2005

P.U.Kruppa wrote:

> As far as I can see, booting from gm0 works fine. There are only two
> questions left:
> 1) I installed FreeBSD 5.4 -RELEASE and thus I put - as
>    recommended (or was that only for 5.3 ???) - swapoff="YES into
>    my /etc/rc.conf .
>    Now my raid1 device doesn't show any swap partition. Is this
>    o.k., or should it be reactivated somehow?

Uhmmm, can you elaborate on that?

Here's what my system looks like:

0-13:14 djh at castor ~> gmirror list
Geom name: gm0
State: COMPLETE
Components: 2
Balance: round-robin
Slice: 4096
Flags: NONE
SyncID: 2
ID: 2016858745
Providers:
1. Name: mirror/gm0
   Mediasize: 250059349504 (233G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r6w6e2
Consumers:
1. Name: ad4
   Mediasize: 250059350016 (233G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r6w6e3
   State: ACTIVE
   Flags: DIRTY
   SyncID: 2
   ID: 2997441133

Geom name: gm0.sync

0-13:14 djh at castor ~> mount
/dev/mirror/gm0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/mirror/gm0s1g on /local0 (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/mirror/gm0s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/mirror/gm0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/mirror/gm0s1d on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
0-13:14 djh at castor ~> swapinfo
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/mirror/gm0s1b   4167488        0  4167488     0%

> 2) In case one of my disks fails (let's say ad2), what is the
>    correct procedure to exchange it? My guess:
>    - power down my machine

If you have hot-swap drive bays, you can skip this step.

>    - insert new disk
>    - # gmirror configure -a gm0
>    - # gmirror insert gm0 /dev/ad2
>    - wait until
>      # gmirror list
>      shows both disks active again

You should only need the insert command, and you can certainly use the
system while the disks are syncing, you'll just have impaired performance.

Cheers,
-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/