RAID Cards

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Thu Jun 30 20:10:01 GMT 2005

Bob Bomar wrote:

> I am looking to build a new file server.  I have used
> Promise cards exclusivly in the past, but I am looking
> at Highpoint cards for this machine.  Anybody have any
> opinions on RAID cards?

My 2c: RAID cards suck, because they are difficult to monitor consistently.

For a lot of my systems, I've been deploying gmirror, which can mirror a
pair of drives, even at the system level.  Works great, easy to monitor
through standard tools, no firmware / driver / kernel version / userland
conflicts and generally better performance.

YMWV,
-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/